Why You Should Hire an Electrical Contractor
In our self-driven world of the Do-It-Yourself or DIY handyperson and YouTube videos making everyone an expert it can be tempting to have your maintenance staff do your electrical work. However, with the increasing complexity of industrial and commercial workplaces and the technology that drives them today, even the more experienced DIY maintenance professional/electrician may reach the point when they feel like it’s time to call in a professional.
Dobbyn Electrical Services Ltd (D.E.S.) in Calgary is a family-owned and operated business that has been “turning on the lights” for Alberta’s commercial and industrial electrical markets since 1974. Our electrical technicians have acquired a reputation for high standards, quality workmanship and top of the line customer support. For the safety of everyone involved, and as an insightful way to manage cost, here are a few reasons why it’s best to hire a commercial and industrial electrician first.
- Permits and Inspectors - The approval/disapproval process adds a level of frustration that is easily eliminated by having an electrical contractor do the work, ensuring the inspection gest passed and if not, it’s the electrician’s job to make it right - not you. Safety Codes Alberta states that only Master Electricians can obtain electrical permits from any given municipality. The City of Calgary also requires a Calgary business license, for the business to operate.
- Other Projects – while the will may be there, simply put, you’ve got better things to do in life, and hiring out allows you and your staff to do those things properly and without distraction.
- Electricians Knowledge – electricians are trained to understand not only the dangers of electricity but how to install boxes, cable, switches, outlets, and lights to code. In Alberta, specific trades including electricians, require the provincial journeyperson certification, registered apprenticeship, or valid recognized credentials. Electricians must have their Certificate of Qualifications, or be a certified apprentice in order to work in the field.
- Expense Control - electrician’s bill for services and materials, but you can minimize your expenses by being prepared with simple things like having your circuits correctly mapped out in advance, and keeping it updated.
- Finally, the most compelling reason for hiring an electrical contractor is because electricity can kill. From 1992 to 2002, electrocution was number six in the list of reasons for workplace fatalities - 200 amps is enough to kill you, and that’s what most homes and businesses have coming into their service panels.
When you need electrical support in Calgary for installations, repairs, or lightning protection, call on Dobbyn Electrical Services. Property management companies, electrical utilities, general contractors, engineering firms, government agencies as well as the city of Calgary and the province of Alberta have all benefited from the skills and expertise of Dobbyn Electrical Services Ltd. Our areas of expertise include street lighting, outdoor lighting, commercial installation, and lightning protection with prompt and reliable service.
While we specialize in street lighting and overhead lighting, we can handle almost any job involving industrial wiring. Whatever the size or nature of your project, from general lighting requirements to specialized lightning that requires the use of bucket trucks and everything in between, contact Dobbyn Electrical Services Ltd. at 403-236-8877 today for a complete assessment of your needs.